Tell Gov. Newsom: "The sun belongs to everyone, not PG&E. Say no to the utilities. Stand up for our solar."
To Gov. Newsom (cc: CA Public Utilities Commission):
“The sun belongs to everyone, not PG&E, nor any other big utility.
Popular policies like net metering helped over a million residents, schools and businesses install solar panels, and is why solar is growing fastest in working and middle class neighborhoods. You should help millions more to to do the same.
Big utilities are are lobbying your administration to charge a solar penalty fee between $56 and $91 per month just for putting solar panels on a home, and slash the credit solar users receive for sharing their surplus energy with the community.
This is an effort by utilities to grab more profits at the expense of the public. This will make solar unaffordable for most, make us more vulnerable to blackouts and cost California tens of billions of dollars over time, and each ratepayer $295 per year.
Californians are watching you and counting on you to support rooftop solar and stop this utility profit grab.
[CPUC Docket #: R.20-08-020]“
The Utility Profit Grab is an effort to kill rooftop solar just as it is taking off in middle and working class communities.
The utilities are proposing to:
- Charge consumers between $56 and $91/month just to have solar.
- Slash the credit consumers receive for surplus solar electricity sent back to the grid by 77%.
- Prevent consumers from carrying forward their unused solar credits from month to month.
- The utilities profit by spending as much ratepayer money as possible building and maintaining long-distance power lines.
- Long-distance power lines are why utility bills have gone up so much, and the ones that sparked wildfires and caused blackouts.
- Rooftop solar reduces the need to spend as much money on long-distance power lines, saving all ratepayers money.
- Rooftop solar, paired with a battery, also protects households and entire communities from power outages.
Save California Solar campaign website, a joint project of Solar Rights Alliance and our coalition